First Aid Level 1 Training is so much more than just knowing how to use the office’s first aid kit. It’s a critical life skill that allows employees to act confidently and accurately in an emergency situation – from bandaging a wound to performing CPR on victims of cardiac arrest. Employees that complete the course walk away feeling supported by critical life skills they can apply in so many areas of their lives, including at home with their families. All thanks to your company.
Imagine your co-worker collapses and stops breathing in front of you, what would you do? Every minute counts. Before any professional medical service arrives, you must have the basic Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) knowledge to make sure you keep the heart pumping and blood flowing to the vital parts of the body. If they are seriously cut, how would you properly and safely deal with the wound? What if there is a serious fall? Should you move the patient? Whether it is a heart attack, drowning, choking or blood loss, consequences may be harmful and can cause serious damage or even death if First Aid is not applied properly and timeously.
It only takes a few minutes to make the difference between life and death. A skilled First Aid employee will have a great asset to add to their CV too. First Aid skills are vitally important, as accidents and possibly fatalities in the workplace can be a major expense for an organisation. It can ruin the company’s reputation, cause high staff turnover, decrease productivity and motivation and the obvious massive legal expenses the company may incur if an employee suffers any harm at the workplace.
Most large organisations offer health and safety training for their employees. However, First Aid and CPR are frequently overlooked. First Aid and CPR training are critical for all employees and apply to every industry regardless of size. Whether the workplace is located on a construction site, in a factory or in a traditional office, every organization has employees who will benefit from First Aid training. It is not a matter of “if”, but “when” the situation will occur. First Aid training for your employees is essential for workplace safety.
With regards to First Aid Level 1, The Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act requires that:
- Employers must appoint a First Aider, where more than 10 employees are employed.
- Where there are more than 50 persons employed, a First Aider must be appointed for each group of 50 persons or part thereof.
- Sub-regulation (4) requires the First Aider to be readily available during working hours. This means that all companies will need more than one first aider to be trained to ensure they are covered at all times, including when someone is on sick leave or working a different shift.
5 Reasons to offer First Aid Level 1 Training to staff
- Empowers employees at work and home: First Aid level 1 training is a lifesaving skill that empowers employees with the knowledge and confidence they need to take charge of any emergency situation, including what to do for their co-workers and even a child in an emergency situation.
- Practical experience: It’s easy to understand the theory behind what to do in an emergency. You don’t need a course for that. What a First Aid level 1 course offers, is the opportunity to perform and practice these theoretical skills with competence. This is essential to building muscle memory and confidence to make sure the person doesn’t “freeze” in an emergency situation.
- Group support: Never underestimate the power of group support. Going it alone can be scary and demotivating. In a group situation, employees get to work as a team and delegate tasks, similar to real-life emergency situations where involving people and managing panic are all part of keeping people safe and calm.
- Legal requirement: A reputable course will assist your company to meet all legal requirements and Training Providers must be accredited with the Department of Labour and Health and Welfare Sector Education Training Authority (HWSETA) and other statutory bodies.
- Qualifies employees for further training: Once First Aid Level 1 Training has been completed, employees can go on to complete levels 2 and then 3.
What does First Aid Level 1 Training offer?
Each First Aid Level 1 course will vary slightly and can be customised to suit your company’s specific needs, but all credible courses will:
- Help employees understand the laws and principles of first aid.
- Offer hands-on cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and Choking training.
- Assist employees to identify and understand the potential hazards in the work environment.
- Ensure employees are confident in treating wounds and stopping the bleeding.
- Assist employees to identify potential poisons, both at work and home.
- Ensure employees know what first aid is required for different types of injuries.
- Equip employees with the knowledge and skills to use the correct equipment and safety precautions when administering First Aid.
Do you need to occupational health and safety services? Why not try out our Speedy Quote tool to get a quick and easy quote delivered to your inbox today!
Absolute Health Services (AHS) offer accredited Health and Safety (H&S) training, ensuring that our clients receive current, professional and quality training. All our training instructors are paramedics registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa, and have extensive practical operational experience and have specialised in First Aid, Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), Firefighting and H&S training. Our training courses contain the latest theoretical course content and extensive practical content and scenario training, thereby ensuring both theoretical and practical exposure. Our intention is to establish a national Health and Safety training network and footprint, enabling our clients to access our training network anywhere in the country. We know that without the support of our clients our business would not exist, so we are committed to offering a professional, client-focused, high quality and cost-effective service.