First Aid Level 1 Training is so much more than just knowing how to use the office’s first aid kit. It is a critical life skill that allows employees to act confidently and accurately in an emergency situation – from bandaging a wound to performing CPR on victims in cardiac arrest. Employees that complete the course and assessment feel supported by additional critical life saving skills that they can apply at work and in their lives, including at home with their families.
Imagine your co-worker collapses and stops breathing in front of you! Before professional medical service arrives, you must have the basic Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) knowledge and skills to make sure you keep the heart pumping and blood flowing to the vital parts of the body. Whether it is a heart-attack, choking or serious blood loss, the consequences are serious and basic first aid must be applied immediately!
A skilled First Aid Level 1 employee, recognised by the Department of Labour, is a great asset to any organisation and the Department of Labour requires all companies and organisations to have basic first aid implemented within the workplace.
First Aid and CPR training are critical for all employees and applies to every industry regardless of size. Whether the workplace is located on a construction site, in a factory or in a traditional office, every organization has employees who will benefit from First Aid level 1 training. It is not a matter of “if”, but “when” an incident or emergency situation will occur, which requires basic first aid to be administred.
First Aid Level 1 Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act requirements:
The Department of Labour and Occupational Health and Safety Act requires competent first aiders within the workplace, that have been assessed to specific first aid outcomes. Below are some of the other first aid legal requirements:
- Employers must appoint a First Aider, where more than 10 employees are employed.
- Where there are more than 50 persons employed, a First Aider must be appointed for each group of 50 persons or part thereof.
- Sub-regulation (4) requires the First Aider to be readily available during working hours. This means that all companies will need more than one first aider to be trained to ensure they are covered at all times, including when someone is on sick leave or working a different shift.
5 Reasons to offer First Aid Level 1 Training:
- Empowers employees at work and home: First Aid level 1 training is a lifesaving skill that empowers employees with the knowledge and confidence they need.
- Practical experience: A First Aid level 1 course offers the opportunity to perform and practice skills with competence.
- Group support: In a group situation, employees get to work as a team and delegate tasks, similar to real-life emergency situations.
- Legal requirement: A reputable and accredited First Aid Level 1 course will assist your company to meet basic first aid occupational health and safety act legal requirements.
- Qualifies employees for further training: Once First Aid Level 1 Training has been completed, employees can progress to additional NQF courses such as level 2 and then 3.
What does First Aid Level 1 Training offer?
First Aid Level 1 courses can be customised to suit your company needs, but will include:
- Help employees understand the laws and principles of first aid.
- Offer hands-on cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and Choking training.
- Assist employees to identify and understand potential first aid hazards in the work environment.
- Ensure employees are confident in treating wounds and stopping the bleeding.
- Ensure employees know what type of first aid is required for different types of injuries.
- Equip employees with the knowledge and skills to use the first aid equipment correctly.
All competent First Aid Level 1 delegates go through an assessment process against specific set outcomes, as per the Department of Labour and Health and Welfare SETA requirements and then receive an accredited and recognised First Aid Level 1 certificate. The First Aid NQF Level 1 course costs R840.00 ex VAT per person.
Do you need occupational health and safety services? Why not try out our Speedy Quote tool to get a quick and easy quote delivered to your inbox today!
Absolute Health Services (AHS) offer accredited Health and Safety (H&S) training, ensuring that our clients receive current, professional and quality training. All our training instructors are paramedics registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa, and have extensive practical operational experience and have specialised in First Aid, Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), Firefighting and H&S training.
Our training courses contain the latest theoretical course content and extensive practical content and scenario training, thereby ensuring both theoretical and practical exposure. Our intention is to establish a national Health and Safety training network and footprint, enabling our clients to access our training network anywhere in the country. We know that without the support of our clients our business would not exist, so we are committed to offering a professional, client-focussed, high quality and cost-effective service.